University reveals Scotland’s next business stars
Wednesday, 3 March 2021
Scotland’s next wave of entrepreneurs have been unveiled as the University of Dundee crowned the winners of its annual competition for business concepts.
Thirteen enterprising students and staff members from across the University walked away with a share of a record £38,000 prize fund after the winners of Venture 2021 were announced.
Finalists pitched their business plans to a panel of leading business innovators, watched on by a live audience that included potential investors. The showpiece event marked the culmination of the University’s annual Entrepreneurship Week, a series of workshops and lectures championing opportunities for small enterprise in Scotland.
As well as funding to help support their business proposals, all winners receive a place on Elevator’s summer business accelerator programme. The 12-week course allows start-up founders to fine tune their proposals. Winners also receive a membership for Entrepreneurial Scotland.
The winners of Venture 2021 are:
- Student Award – Lauryn Pringle
- School of Art and Design Student Award – Glen Craig
- School of Life Sciences Award – Hanneke MacLaren
- School of Medicine Award – Firas Bakri
- Postgraduate Researcher Award – Jordana Freemantle
- Science and Engineering Student Award – Antonio Rodriguez
- Recent Graduate – Jennifer Rao-Williams and Lewis Kennedy (joint-winners)
- Staff Award – Dr John Foerster and Dr Helge Dorfmueller (joint-winners)
Brian McNicoll, Head of the Centre for Entrepreneurship, said, “Once again, our Venture final has highlighted the extraordinary thriving entrepreneurial culture within the University and the dynamism of our students and staff.
“Our judges were incredibly impressed by the creativity and dynamism demonstrated by all of our finalists, and choosing our winners was an incredibly tough process. Our finalists can feel incredibly proud of what they have achieved, and this competition will undoubtedly help all of them in pursuing their career goals.
“I congratulate all of our winners and look forward to seeing their exciting business concepts flourish.”