Kingsbarns Distillery Visitor Centre Welcomes Two New Exclusive Whiskies
Kingsbarns Distillery is delighted to announce that two new exclusive single cask bottlings from Wemyss Malts are now available in its Visitor Centre and online shop.
The Visitor Centre was opened on St Andrews Day 2014 by the Wemyss family owners and the founder, local man Douglas Clement. Distilling started in January 2015, with the first cask filled in March that year. Scotch whisky has to mature for at least 3 years before it can be bottled, so meanwhile the Kingsbarns Distillery shop is stocked with the range from the family owner's other whisky interest, the award-winning independent bottler, Wemyss Malts.
Wemyss Malts' approach to their malt whisky range is to name the whiskies after each whisky's natural flavour and aromas to allow whisky drinkers to better imagine each whisky's taste.
The two new single casks single malts which have been bottled exclusively for the Kingsbarns Distillery shop are:
"East Neuk Dunes" - a name inspired by the local shoreline, even though the cask is from Bunnahabhain Distillery on Islay. Distilled in 1990 and bottled in 2016, aged 25 years. Bottled at 46% abv and retailing at £139.95. Only 267 bottles available.
"Lime Tea Infusion" - from Glenrothes Distillery in Speyside. Distilled in 1997 and bottled in 2016, aged 19 years. Bottled at 46% abv and retailing at £84.95. Only 337 bottles available.
William Wemyss, Managing Director at Kingsbarns Distillery and Wemyss Malts explains further: "Wemyss Malts has a tradition of finding exceptional single casks from Scotland's single malt distilleries and we have chosen these two whiskies to be sold only at Kingsbarns Distillery. The aptly named "East Neuk Dunes" reflects the whisky's soft salty aroma, with only gentle smoke coming from this 25 year old single cask; while "Lime Tea Infusion" is a lively addition to the drams on our "Dream to Dram" distillery tour."
The whiskies are available now at the Kingsbarns Distillery Visitor Centre as well as in the online shop www.kingsbarnsdistillery.com/shop
For all media enquiries, image and interview requests, please contact:
Karen Stewart [email protected] 0131 226 3445
Steven Shand [email protected] 0131 226 3445
Twitter: @KingsbarnsDist Facebook: Kingsbarns Distillery & Visitor Centre
Notes to Editors:
- Kingsbarns Distillery was officially opened on St Andrews Day 2014 and has been subsequently been awarded a 4 star visitor attraction award by Visit Scotland.
- While the Kingsbarns spirit is maturing, Kingsbarns has also launched the Founders' Club. Membership benefits include a Welcome Pack and the first ever bottling of Kingsbarns Single Malt expected in mid 2018. A further 4 exclusive bottlings will follow.
- The founder of the distillery is Douglas Clement. Formerly a golf caddie, Douglas was inspired to open a distillery near to the famous golf courses in the St Andrews and Kingsbarns area.
- Distillery Manager, Peter Holroyd, is a graduate of Heriot Watt University Brewing and Distilling, and was formerly head brewer at a craft brewery near Glasgow. The Wemyss family owners are from Scotland and their historic family seat is Wemyss Castle in Fife where they’ve lived since the 1300s.
- The Wemyss family also own Wemyss Malts which is an independent bottler with a whisky range including the blended malt whiskies comprising: The Spice King, The Peat Chimney and The Hive; single malt single cask bottlings and the blended Scotch named Lord Elcho after one of the Wemyss family’s ancestors; all of which are avilable for tasting and sale at The Kingsbarns Distillery.
- The Wemyss family premium wines and spirits brands also include boutique gin Darnley’s View together with the premium wine estate of Rimauresq Cru Classé in Cotes de Provence.